God's Hand

Wednesday, April 25, 2007


You might think that a tragedy is just that: a tragedy. But I know now that when things don't go quite the way we planned it, God is using that situation to bring about a better thing. That's not to say that God CAUSES pain, but he does use it. Some of the most tragic events in my life have been the starting point for something good to happen.

My grandmother's death: My grandma, Darlene, had cancer when we moved out to this area. We actually moved here so my mom could take care of her. I know that I prayed for her to get healed, but she wasn't. She died, and I didn't understand what was going on. Later on in my life, though, I realized that had it not been for my gramma being in bad health, we wouldn't have moved here, and I wouldn't have been around the people that influenced me and talked to me about being a Christian. And if my gramma hadn't died, my mom's life probably wouldn't have gotten so bad that she knew she needed divine help. God used those circumstances to help me grow, and also to help my parents grow. Many times, we've chosen the hard way to do things, but God is faithful each time and picks us up, spurring us on to continue life's hard journey.

My best friend's death: Amber died while I was on my honeymoon. I was somehow strong enough to withstand the viewing and funeral without thinking, "Why, God?" but later on, though the months, I found myself in pain. I guess the shock just wore off. At any rate, I found myself angry at God for taking her away when I so badly wanted her to stay here. She was only 17, and again, I didn't understand. There's still a lot that I don't know, but what I do know is this: God brings people into our lives through our loved ones who have died, and it's our duty to care for those people as that person would. I'm not sure exactly why Amber was called home that day, but I know that, if there is a right timing for someone to leave this earth at such an early age, God chose the right timing. I know He will reveal all the reasons to us later, but this is what I know so far.

National tragedies, such as Columbine, Virginia Tech, and the World Trade Centers: Again, let me say that God did not cause these to happen. But God did not let evil reign in the sense that we were overwhelmed and lost all hope. God gives us a spirit of strength and dignity through these hard times, and a willingness to band together. This togetherness is vital to us. It helps us forget our trivial problems and lets us support and love one another, as is needed during times of hardship. No, God doesn't even let tragedy go to waste. He uses it all and reties the loose ends to still carry out His divine plan.

Every hardship, no matter how hard or small, whether it was imposed upon us by evil in the world, or whether it's "friendly fire"... God uses it all and is able to make great things come of it. Just watch a flower as it grows. Something disgusting, that nobody wants to be around, is its bed. The vulnerable seed is stuck, trapped in manure, and seemingly buried. But it grows. And the sun... the sun is nice and something we all appreciate, but if all that little flower gets is sun, it dies before its time. YET rain, as hated as it is sometimes, pours down over that flower, along with the sunshine, and it continues to grow. Sometimes the things that we appreciate least and most want to get out of are the very things that are helping us to grow.

Don't look with doubt, fear, or depression into your seemingly hopeless circumstance. God's holding the open door for you on the other side, and this is just life training. Learn what you can... nobody ever learned anything with their head down and their eyes lowered.

God bless you all!

Comments

Popular Posts