Friday, December 14, 2012

If Only

You never got to watch me grow
To see my sweet sixteen
You never got to let me know
How to be his lady-queen

You never taught me how to act
Or helped me learn ballet
And so I wonder, just right now
Where we would be today...

If only you'd held on, Grandma
If the cancer could subside
I'd ask you for advice, Grandma
If only you hadn't died.

I could ask which color suits my eyes
Hear your finest cooking tips
Learn how to sache any which-way
Hear stories straight from your lips

I'd gladly trade my holiday angels
For the one I had in you
It's fun to imagine what it'd be like
But I'd prefer if it were true:

If only you'd held on, Grandma
If the cancer could subside
You could hold my girls, wearing lace and pearls
If only you hadn't died.

(Written for my Grandma Darlene. She was a spectacular woman who I only had the honor of knowing for the first eight years of my life. I wish my daughters could have met her...)


No comments:

Post a Comment