Monday, November 26, 2012

Scottish People and Bullying

My husband is related to a very famous Scot with a common last name, and recently received threats on a new profile he'd created with his name. A Scottish man warned my husband (on facebook) not to harass his son (by the same name, but a different spelling as my husband's) anymore... and he did so in no uncertain terms. My husband was initially upset, then he thought it must have been spam. He replied to the message, in the off-chance that someone may have gotten him mixed up with someone else, saying that he was an adult, not the twelve-year-old that some others on his profile had mistaken him for.

My husband is very proud of his Scottish heritage (as it should be), and we recently got to see the movie "Brave" with our two daughters. They love the movie, and my oldest pretends to be Merida. I found the movie absolutely hilarious, and started to become curious about it. See, in the movie, there's one young man who is very difficult for us Americans to understand... so in an attempt to discover what he'd said, I stumbled across interviews with the character's voice actor. He made a comment in one of his interviews that Scots are "messy"... and I loved that. It made me think of my husband... extremely passionate, and, well - messy. This Scotsman who contacted my husband seemed the same way: although we didn't know what had happened to cause his angry response, I could tell that there was something more at the heart of it. 

When I came home, I checked my husband's profile (at his request) and found that the man promptly apologized... a very sincere, kindhearted apology, and explained his situation. His son (again, having the same name as my husband, but a different spelling) had moved away, but was experiencing intense bullying in his new town. The poor kid! I don't know him, but everyone deserves to be at peace in their environment.

Bullying is a real epidemic lately, it seems. I think it starts with pride... kids think they're somehow better than the other kids, and rather than accepting one anothers' differences, they cruelly point them out as faults. I don't think I struggled with bullying growing up (other than picking on my own siblings), but I did sometimes think I was better than others. Humility can be a beautiful thing... and it is like healing balm on a wound. If only more people would embrace one another rather than judging, and be unafraid to apologize to one another (as beautifully modeled by this Scottish father), the world would be a far better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment