Monday, March 8, 2010

Solitude

Friday, August 31, 2007

Solitude

The leaves rustled in the wind as I sat on my garage roof. There was nothing quite like sitting up there and catching the scent of flowers in the air as the sun warmed my back. I quietly sang the first song I could think of as I closed my eyes and thought about life. This was my place of relaxation, where I could forget about my already-troubled, young life.

I had a lot to think about when I climbed the tree that stood right next to the roof. My mother and father's relationship seemed to spiral endlessly downward in those days, and as a result, I didn't feel very loved or appreciated. I constantly compared myself with my overacheiving sister who was, by far, more social than I. I dreampt about being whisked away to some fantasy land, where all was right with the world and everyone loved me for who I was. I shed many tears on that old garage.

Looking back, life wasn't as bleak as I imagined it to be when I was young. My mother and father did love me, but there was so much going on that they neglected to spend the time with me that I hoped for. My sister wasn't competing with me, she was trying to do her best. Yet I needed those times of solace to console me in my grief. The wind never criticized, the flower-buds never scorned me. Life was good atop that roof, and I will never forget the calm that permeated through my soul due to my time spent there.

No comments:

Post a Comment