Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Least of These

(For context, read Matthew 25:31-46. Feel free to use www.biblegateway.com to do so.)

Matthew 25:40 - "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

When I was a teenager, I would read that verse in the Bible and found that concept kind of difficult to understand. I was in the age of “raging hormones” and jealousy and couldn't fathom how anyone doing something for “the least of these” would be “unto God”. From my perspective, if someone did something nice for my little sister, then that stuck-up brat just got ANOTHER nice toy or pair of shoes that I didn't get! (Note: I feel differently about my sister now... I love her a whole lot!)

Now that I'm a mom, though, I think I comprehend what Jesus meant a bit more. Cam and I haven't had much money to buy Amber new clothes or toys, but every now and then, out of the goodness and love of their hearts, someone will bless us by giving her some new toys or clothes. THAT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME!

These people don't have to get me anything at all, and I'm ridiculously happy because they got my CHILD something. It's the same with a compliment. If someone gives her a compliment, it's a compliment to me as well, since I'm her momma. (Pretty much all mommas think this way... compliment a mother's child and nine times out of ten she'll say “Thank you” as if you were complimenting her.)

A baby may or may not be the perfect comparison to “the least of these,” but it works pretty well for me. Anything someone does or gives generously to my daughter, they give generously to me. How much more does a generous gift to one of the least of these bless the Father, who created each and every one of us and gifted us with talents and abilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment