Monday, March 8, 2010

How conciliatory

How conciliatory your words!

How graciously they flow forth,

showering love upon me and begging my understanding.


How contradictory your words!

How effortlessly they flow forth,

showering betrayal upon me and forcing my compliance.


You are not who I thought you were -

You are not my trustworthy, faithful friends.


I was just a means by which you received compliments,

An endless droning of grateful agreement.


I was a pawn and you played me well;

a satisfactory fool: a used and useless tool.


Words cannot express what I lost in you

when you revealed what you never had in me.


Respect, admiration, and trust:

All this time I'd treated you as a friend while you warily regarded me as the enemy.


This is the second time I've been betrayed, but at least the first time I was betrayed with a spit.

No betrayal hits harder or hurts more than to be betrayed with a kiss.


Perhaps I should thank you for opening my eyes:

I just wish you hadn't used a dagger to do it.


(written 2/22/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment